Monday, February 1, 2010

Blood Orange Jello Shots

So I've realised there is an unintentional theme running on this blog. Most the foods I make, are my childhood favorites, with some healthier, grown-up revisions. This one is definitely no exception! We all loved jello as a kid-- I mean, it jiggles & it wiggles and Bill Cosby had a funny voice to go along with it. Here, you'll see I added some, ahem, very grown-up additions, and also a little bit of flair.

It basically goes like this: jello shots in tiny plastic cups= trashy. Jello shots in orange slices= awesome AND eco-friendly.


91/365: blood orange jello shots


Use MORE jello than the recipe calls for. Instead of a single-serve box (3oz) gelatin, I used more like 4 oz. You don't want to exactly double it, but if you don't put a bit extra Jello mix, the final product will be a bit gooey and not as firm. The flavor doesn't matter- use whatever color you want.

Follow the recipe on the box, first adding jello to 1 cup boiling water, then stirring in 1 cup freezing vodka. (I used Grey Goose).

Pour the mixture into halved oranges. (The trickiest part is emptying out the orange and keeping the peel in a sphere. Helpful hint= use a grapefruit spoon.)

To keep them from spilling, I set the orange cups in a muffin pan so they would stay upright while chilling in the fridge.

AFTER they are done cooling for 4-6 hours (but preferably overnight), you can take a knife to the excess orange peel, then cut the half into quarters or thirds.

Easy! Delicious! Drunkenness!!

No comments:

Post a Comment